Monday, March 29, 2010

Cat 3 captain - Borski (aka Fitness) - Ronde Von Manda

Ronde Von Manda Cat 3 Race Summary from the eyes of Borski:




Well I knew when Trevor picked me up at 6 am and the wind was blowing 20+ out of the northwest, we were in for a hard day! The race started hard and went from there. A field of 63 started this venture, needless to say, only the strong survived! LOL! The first lap attacks were many and rather gutsy, but each time solo efforts, so I just had to laugh a bit at that, we had 60 mi to go in a 25+ wind on a unprotected course. But oh well lets chase them down anyway seemed to be the motto. Trevor and I stayed near the front, just knowing it was the place to be all day, the teams seemed to want to work hard on the first lap to chase back what seemed futile in the wind. Well finally things settled down, that’s when we knew it was time to do something. Trevor took a flyer in the tailwind section, mostly so he would not get gapped once we hit the several crosswind sections. He just kind of kept it going for about 6 miles. I heard snickers in the peloton, about how that will never work, they let him sit just off the group for a while, Trevor happy to know what we had talked about earlier, would probably work if done at the right time. So just at the catch in the headwind section about 100m from a hard right into a ugly crosswind section, I gassed it, hit the corner and we were off, strung it out and gutter city, got a few guys to help taking turns and before we knew it we had a gap, hit a tailwind section and had a few stragglers tag on and the 8 of us were off. That was the race, we were gone, managed to work well as a group, we stayed away for 36 miles, soon it became evident that some were less enthused about what we were doing, so with about 5 miles from the finish, I went, and just like that we were 5, selection done! The rest was just tactics, I learned a lesson for sure, I felt good with 1 k to go, so made a false attack to see who wanted to play, the biggest wheel suck of the 5 jumped with 500m to go, we got on his wheel, me the last in line, then disaster, the two riders in front of me died, just blew at about 270m from the line, I followed the kid I was marking all day(raced with him in Fayetteville, knew he had good legs) but stupid move we passed on the left, just crossing the yellow line at about 250m, yep the ref let us play all over the yellow line all day, but the rules are rules, I got 3rd in the sprint, but after ref protest, relegated to 5th. Oh well, we came and raced our bikes, that made it fun, well worth all the effort. My thanks to Trevor for the work early, and yes I love it when a plan comes together!!!! Oh yeah Boss, it was EPIC! Afterwards the winner said he was marking MVC all day as it was apparent they came to race.

Click here for the Video link of the Cat 3 finish (3rd place for Borski):

No comments:

Post a Comment