Thursday, April 9, 2009

Riding to Work

I think all cyclists ponder commuting on their bikes at some point. Unfortunately for most, it's just not practical or realistic. Well this year things finally came together for me when a small workout area and shower were installed in my office building. My last excuse for not giving it a try was gone!

So for the past month or so, I've been riding to work at least once a week. In my case it's 15 miles on a combination of bike paths and residential streets. Just long enough to get some exercise, but not so long that it effects my schedule. Last night I met Bibi at the lake on my way home and added an extra hour. Normally I have to skip work or ride in the dark to get three hours on Wednesday!

The first couple times, as I was rolling down my driving at 7:15 on a weekday, I felt that same twinge of guilt that I feel when I leave the office early for "a meeting". But once I got rolling I thought, "Hey, I'm going to work just like everyone else. No need to feel like a slacker!". I felt even better when I saw the gridlock on LBJ as I rolled up to my office only 20 minutes later than if had taken my car.

So for all of you that have been thinking about commuting, do yourself a favor and try it.

rpm

No comments:

Post a Comment